About

president message

Since 1952 when Huazhong Institute of Technlology was founded, or even further back, when the German doctor Erich Paulun founded the German Medical School (later as Tongji Medical University ) in Shanghai in 1907, HUST has never stopped its journey to excellence. The past 50 years has witnessed how HUST rapidly developed itself into a dynamic, ambitious and innovative comprehensive research university.   The university commits itself to the task “Seek Truth and Make Innovation”. To these ends, the University seeks to be student-centered so that they may explore their capabilities and interests and develop their full intellectual  potential. It aims to foster academic innovation through coordinated interdisciplinary developmental efforts and draws on an unwavering drive toward excellence with a commitment to contributing to the needs of a changing society.   On the 470 hectares forest-like campus are scattering over 100 labs focusing on many research areas. The campus is the home to more than 10 state-level research platforms including Wuhan National Laboratory for Optoelectronics (WNLO), the Center for Gravitational Experiments, and the Wuhan National High Magnetic Field Center, Medicine and Engineering are the great pillars of HUST interwoven with arts and humanities, paint a colorful picture of our academics and research efforts.   Here you will meet dedicated scholars working till late into night, vigorous students shuttling between the sportsground and the library and kind campus workers cleaning the streets early in the morning. Spring flowers, autumn leaves and winter snow, you will have a magic and charming adventure here. 

Read more

academic calendar

  Spring Semester of 2016:     Autumn Semester of 2015:

Read more

HUST Sketch

Location Huazhong University of Science and Technology (HUST) is located in Wuhan, the capital city of Hubei Province, on the central banks of the Yangtze River. The university is composed of one main campus situated near the East Lake scenic spot and a satellite medical campus located in the central business district of Hankou on the other side of the Yangtze River.    History HUST was established in 1952, originally under the name of Huazhong Institute of Technology. In 2000, the university merged with Tongji Medical University (founded in 1907) and Wuhan Urban Construction Institute (founded in 1952), to form the new Huazhong University of Science and Technology as it is known today. Scale HUST’s picturesque environment covers an area of over 460 hectares, and the campus has 72% greenery coverage, which has earned it the honorary title “University in the Forest”. A total of more than 55,000 full-time students are enrolled, including approximately 32,000 undergraduates, 16,000 master candidates and 6,000 doctoral candidates.   Faculty HUST hosts around 3000 full-time faculty members, more than 900 of which are professors and 1300 associate professors. A large number of eminent scientists and professors are gathering here, including 15 academicians of the Chinese Academy of Science and the Chinese Academy of Engineering, 36 Thousand Talents Program members, 5 The One-Thousand Foreign Experts Program members, 52 The Thousand Talents Program for Distinguished Young Scholars members, 48 Changjiang Scholars Program for Distinguished Professors, 36 Changjiang Scholars Program for Visiting Professors, 56 winners of The National Science Fund for Distinguished Young Scholars, 15 Chief Scientists for 973 Program, 2 Chief Scientists for Key Research Programs, 3 Young Chief Scientists for 973 program, 27 winners of Research Fund for Distinguished Young Scientists, 224 winners of Program for New Century Excellent Talents in University, 39 Millions of Leading Engineering Talents, 9 National Teaching Masters. Academics HUST is a comprehensive and multi-disciplinary research university, covering 12 major disciplines: philosophy, economics, law, education, literature, history, engineering, agriculture, medicine, management and arts, offering a variety of degree programs, including 94 undergraduate programs, 225 master programs, and 184 PhD programs. There are 39 post-doctoral research centers, 7 national key first-level disciplines and 15 national key sub-disciplines. Three disciplines namely, Mechanical Engineering, Optical Engineering, and Public Health and Preventive Medicine ranks top 1 among its peers in China, while Electrical Engineering and Biomedical Engineering ranks 2nd and 3rd respectively.HUST also hosts various national advanced talent training bases for undergraduate education, including the “National Exemplary Software Faculty”, the “National Base of Life Science and Technological Talents”, the “National Base of IC Talents”, the “National Education Base of Basic Science Courses”, and the “School of Engineering Sciences”. Research HUST is proud of her national laboratory-- “Wuhan National Laboratory for Optoelectronics”(one of the six national labs in China), the National Science Center-- “Wuhan National High Magnetic Field Center”, the Center for Gravitational Experiments and the biggest oxy-fuel combustion carbon capture pilot system in China—“3 MWth Carbon Capture Test Base”.In addition, various research facilities have been established, such as: five state key laboratories, six national engineering (technology) research centers, one national engineering laboratory, two national specialized laboratories, eighteen provincial key laboratories, five engineering research centers of the MOE, four provincial engineering (technology) research centers, three cooperative research centers of the MOE and nine provincial humanities and social sciences research bases. In recent years, a number of high qualified academic papers cited by SCI, EI, ISTP and Medical Literature Analysis and Retrieval System (MEDLARS) have been published. The number of published articles is among the top ten universities in China. In 2014, 7 HUST research projects were awarded by the annual National Science and Technology Awards Ceremony. Excellence HUST students have won prizes in various national and international competitions. WANG Liran of the School of Management won the "Future Business Leader" award at the final of 2014 CIMA held in Bombay on August 6, 2014. The CIMA Global Business Challenge is known as "the business Olympics for college students". At the World Final of the 23rd World Memory Championship 2014 held in Hainan on December13 SHU Yubiao, a HUST physics sophomore and MAO Hongwei of the School of Law were crowned as "World Memory Masters”.In recent years, the growing social impact of HUST on social life has helped the university admit the best possible students. HUST graduates have been enjoying popularity among employers in the job market, and the employment rate has reached above 95%.   Entrepreneurship and Local Service HUST has been paying sustainable attention to the research-industry transformation since its founding in 1952. The university services local economy by developing cooperative programs and setting up research institutes and industrialization bases with other neighboring province governments and industries. Now the university has developed itself into one of the seven national technology transfer centers in China. Affiliated Hospitals The university has three affiliated hospitals, including Union Hospital, Tongji Hospital and Liyuan Hospital. The affiliated Union Hospital and Tongji Hospital are large modern comprehensive hospitals that integrate the functions of clinic medical service, teaching, scientific research and training. As the medical centers of Hubei Province and even South Central China, the hospitals maintain leading positions in organ transplantation, cardiovascular surgery, hematology, ENT, orthopedics, urology and Geriatric Conditions .  International Exchange and Cooperation HUST has established partnerships with more than 100 renowned universities and research institutions worldwide. Over 1,500 scholars and experts visit and lecture here annually. Since 2013 the campus has welcomed several Nobel Laureates including Prof. Alan J. Heeger, the Nobel Laureate in Chemistry, and Prof. Klaus von Klitzing, German Nobel Prize winner in Physics.Currently around 3000 international students are studying at HUST. The students coming from different parts of the world gather here for degree and non-degree programs. Some courses are taught in Chinese while most of the degree programs are taught in English. Scholarships are accessible to all the applicants. 

Read more

history

HUST Tongji Medical College Wuhan Urban Construction Institute 2000 On May 26, 2000, the former HUST, the former Tongji Medical University, the former Wuhan Urban Construction Institute, and the former Wuhan Science and Technology Vocational College merged to form the new Huazhong University of Science and Technology. 1990-1999 In 1994, School of Science, School of Humanities and Social Sciences, School of Mechanical Science and Engineering, School of Biological Engineering and Technology, School of Materials Science and Engineering, School of Architecture and Engineering, School of Energy Science and Engineering, School of Economics, School of Information Science and Engineering, and School of Business Administration were founded.In 1995, the credit system was fully implemented. In 1994-1995 , there were 495 doctoral students, 1,737 postgraduates, 9,375 undergraduates, 50 international students, 31 PhD programs, 111 PhD supervisors, 7 post-doctoral research stations, and 76 master’s programs. In 1994, 710 postgraduates and 178 PhD candidates were recruited. Compared with 1978, the number of enrolled postgraduates increased 12 times to 2,232. Research fund in 1994 reached 76.4 million yuan, 60 times more than that in 1978, ranking the fourth among institutions of higher education . From 1978 to 1994, 1,899 research projects were accomplished, and 848 of them were awarded, including 82 national-level awards, and 626 provincial or ministry-level awards. Meanwhile, 1,422 national patents were achieved, and 18,735 papers were published in the domestic and international academic journals and conferences. According to the news issued by Institute of Scientific and Technical Information of China in December 1994, 1,032 papers from HUST were domestically published in 1993. HUST was hence reported to be “the first university to have over 1,000 published papers in China”, In 1991, Department of Maternal & Child Health was set up. The university was approved to establish the centre for basic medicine post-doctoral studies. In June 1992, Xue Delin took the post of President. In October, Wuhan Division of Chinese Academy of Medical Science was set up on the campus. In 1993, Wuhan division of the Chinese Academy of Preventive Medicine was set up on the campus. In the same year, the Faculty of Preventive Medicine, the Faculty of Environmental Medicine, the Faculty of Health Management and the Educational Technology Center for Health were established. In November 1994, the post-doctoral research centers for clinical medicine, public health and preventive medicine were established. In September 1997, Hong Guangxiang was appointed as the President. In the same year, the credit-based system was fully carried out. In 2000, the post-doctoral research center for biological was established. In 1999, there were over 1,000 staff members, nearly 5,000 undergraduates and junior college students, 70 postgraduates and over 3,200 adult education students. It had established 20 research laboratories covering various areas including Architectural Design, Urban Planning and Design, Landscape Architecture, Real Estate Operation and Management, Structural Engineering, and Real Estate Assessment. Besides the undergraduate education, the Institute also offered adult Education , vocational and continuing training to meet the social demands. 1980-1989 In 1980, The six-year German medicine classes were re-opened in the Department of Medicine. In 1981, Prof. Qiu Fazu was appointed as the Dean of Wuhan Medical College. In the same year, the college adopted the Academic Degree System to issue doctoral, master and bachelor degree to its graduates. In 1982, the college set up the training centre for health managerial cadres, and opened up a three-year specializing course for health management. In July 1984, Wuhan Medical College changed its name to Tongji Medical University. Wu Zaide was crowned as President and Qiu Fazu Emeritus President. From that year on, the university initiated the new system combined with credit-based system and term-based system among students. In February 1987, Division of Social Science was set up based on Marxism-Leninism Research Office. In 1988, the seven-year clinical medicine was set up. In 1989, the clinical medicine started to admit international students. In 1980, The six-year German medicine classes were re-opened in the Department of Medicine. In 1981, Prof. Qiu Fazu was appointed as the Dean of Wuhan Medical College. In the same year, the college adopted the Academic Degree System to issue doctoral, master and bachelor degree to its graduates. In 1982, the college set up the training centre for health managerial cadres, and opened up a three-year specializing course for health management. In July 1984, Wuhan Medical College changed its name to Tongji Medical University. Wu Zaide was crowned as President and Qiu Fazu Emeritus President. From that year on, the university initiated the new system combined with credit-based system and term-based system among students. In February 1987, Division of Social Science was set up based on Marxism-Leninism Research Office. In 1988, the seven-year clinical medicine was set up. In 1989, the clinical medicine started to admit international students. In 1981, the former Wuhan Construction Material Industry Institute was approved by the State Council to be rebuilt with the new name of Wuhan Urban Construction Institute, directly under the leadership of the Ministry of Construction. From August 1983, the new campus of Wuhan Urban Construction Institute broke ground. The new campus covered 39.7353 hectares of land with a school construction area of 1.6 hectares. The Institute comprised 6 departments, including the Department of Urban Planning and Architecture, the Department of Urban Construction and Management, the Department of Environmental Engineering, the Department of Urban Transportation Engineering, the Department of Electrical and Computer Engineering, and the Department of Sociology. It offered 12 Bachelor’s programs, namely, Architecture, Urban Planning, Art and Design, Civil Engineering, Engineering Management, Water Supply and Drainage Engineering, Architecture Environment and Equipment Engineering, Environment Engineering, Transportation Engineering, Electrical Engineering and Automation, Computer Science and Technology. It offered 7 Master’s programs, including Architectural Design and Theories, Urban Planning and Design, Management Science and Engineering, Municipal Engineering, Road and Rail Engineering, Transportation Programming and Management and Economic Law. 1970-1979 From 1966 to 1976 HIT kept moving on even in the Cultural Revolution. In the end of the chaotic days, for the long-term development of the university, many scholars who had been “sent down to countryside” had been re-recruited back to the campus. By 1975, the number of departments increased to 36. Faculty members increased to 1,655, 2,500 and students 3,600. The research funding of 1975 reached 2.0594 million yuan. 25 research projects had been finished during this time. From 1977 to 1979, HIT remodified its developing goals from an institute of science and technology to a socialist modern university of science and technology in 20th century. On 10th, August, 1979, Mr. Zhu Jiusi was appointed as the President of HIT. In 1979, the Department of Management Engineering was set up and the discipline of Materials Management was established. In 1971, the college started to recruit worker-peasant-soldiers students. In 1972, Department of Pharmacy was set up. In 1976, “Cultural Revolution” ended. The whole country was struggling to turn from the disordered and chaotic situation back to normal and healthy developing path. So did Wuhan Medical College. Seeking truth was set as the primary standard and philosophy. Since 1978, the college was co-led by the Ministry of Health and Hubei Provincial government. In the same year, environmental medicine was set inside the Health Department. Since then, post-graduates admission re-started. In October 1971, it merged with former Beijing Construction Industry Institute into Hubei Construction Industry Institute, which was later renamed Wuhan Construction Material Industry Institute. 1960-1969 In 1960, HIT edged herself to be a national key university under the direct administration of the Ministry of Education of China. Till 1966, the comprehensive strength of HIT has been greatly improved although it was still a multidisciplinary technology institute only focusing on undergraduate-teaching. There were 6 departments, 20 undergraduate programs, 1097 faculty members and 6087.students. The annual research funding had reached 0.9 million yuan. In June 1960, the Third Party Congress of Wuhan Medical College elected the Third Party Committee and set up the Standing Committee. Li Guangyu served as the Party secretary for another term. In 1962, approved by the Ministry of Health, Wuhan Medical College, as one of the first batch of medical colleges around the country who undertook a reform, reformed itself to a six-year college. The same year, German medical classes came into being inside the clinical department and regular German classes were set up. From 1966 to 1971, the admission work had been suspended for five years because of the “Cultural Revolution”. In 1960, the college was renamed Wuhan Urban Construction Institute, the only institute of higher education on urban construction in China then. In 1961, the Department of Water Supply and Drainage established. In October 1964, it was renamed Wuhan Construction Engineering School. 1950-1959 On Oct. 15th 1953, Huazhong Institute of Science and Technology (HIT) was founded in Wuhan to meet the great demands for professionals in the country’s recovery construction. Zha Qian the physicist was crowned the first President. Mechanic Engineering and Electrical Engineering were two main departments of HIT at that time. The first HUSTers were from the former Wuhan University, the former Hunan University and the former Guangxi University as well as South China Institute of Technology. There were eight undergraduate programs, 314 full-time faculty members and 2,639 undergraduate students at that time. In February 1950, The central government made the decision that the Medical School of Tongji University and its affiliated Tongji Hospital moved to Wuhan, merged with the Medical School of Wuhan University, to form the “Central-South Tongji Medical College”(means “Tongji Medical College of Central-South China” ), directly under the administration of the Ministry of Health of Central-South Military and Political Committee. In 1955, the affiliated Tongji Hospital moved from Shanghai to Wuhan, which marks the relocation and reestablishment of Tongji Medical College was finally accomplished. In June, the former Union Hospital (Hankou ,Wuhan) was incorporated into Central-South Tongji Medical College as an affiliated hospital.In August, Central-South Tongji Medical College was renamed as Wuhan Medical College, Tang Zhe was appointed as the first Dean. The same year, the Department of Public Health was established by teachers and students of the previous Public Health Centre and also part of the teachers and students from Shandong Medical Hospital. In 1956, College began to enroll postgraduate students. In February 1957, the first Party Congress of Wuhan Medical College was held, at which, the first Party Committee and the standing committee members were elected. At the same time, Yin Chuanzhao was appointed as the Party secretary. In March 1958, Li Guangyu was appointed as the Party secretary and the Department of Pediatrics (suspended in 1962 and reopened in 1978) was added. In April 1959, the second Party Congress of Wuhan Medical College elected the second Party Committee. The Party secretary was Li Guangyu. The history of Wuhan Urban Construction Institute can be traced back to 1950s when its predecessor Zhongnan Construction Engineering School was founded in Lu Shan Mountain (Jiangxi Province) as the merger of six schools in central south China, including Zhengzhou Advanced Engineering School, Wuchang Advanced Engineering School, Wuhan Civil Engineering School, Changsha Chuyi Advanced Engineering School, Changsha Municipal Engineering School and Xiangxiang Advanced Engineering School. In 1953, the School moved to Ma’an Shan, Wuchang, Hubei Province, and changed its name to Wuchang Construction Engineering School. The same year the Department of Civil Engineering of Guangzhou Pearl River Hydraulic School merged in. In 1958, the school was upgraded toWuhan Construction Industry College. 1940-1949 In July, 1946, National Tongji University moved back to Shanghai. In May, 1949, Shanghai was liberated and governed by Communist Chinese government. The University Board of National Tongji University was founded. 1930-1939 In 1937, the Wusong campus was destroyed by Japanese plane bombardment, the National Tongji University moved through Zhejiang, Jiangxi, Guangxi, finally settled down in Yunnan Province. When stopped in Ganzhou, Jiangxi, the German Dean of National Tongji University resigned, Prof. Ning Yu succeeded to be the first Chinese Dean of Tongji. Even in the miserable drifting days, the schools of art, science and law were set up, which greatly enriched the disciplinary structure of Tongji university. 1920-1929 In 1922, the school moved to Wusong Town, Shanghai. On May 20, 1924, approved by the Ministry of Education, School became “Tongji Medical University” (that is why the School celebration Day was on May 20th). In August 1927, while taken over by the Education Ministry of Nanking national government, it was renamed as “National Tongji University”, the original medicine and engineering respectively renamed to School of Medicine and School of Engineering. 1917 In 1917, the year the First World War came to the end, “Tongji Medical and Engineering School” changed its name to Private Tongji School Specializing in Engineering and Medicine, which then was a Chinese private school and run by Chinese board of directors, directly under the Ministry of Education. 1912 In 1912, with the addition of engineering courses, “Tongji German Medical School” changed its name again to “Tongji Medical and Engineering School”, encompassing three subjects - medicine, engineering and German. 1908 In 1908, “Shanghai German Medical School” changed its name to “Tongji German Medical School” as “Tongji”, a homophonic word of German word “Deutsch”, means cooperation and mutual help between German and Chinese. 1907 In 1907, German Doctor Paulun Erich launched the “Shanghai German Medical School” and set up an 18-member board of directors, including three founding members of German medical association-Paulun, Schab Oscar von and Volker, three German businessmen - Lemke, Michelau and Rainer, two Chinese businessmen - Zhu Baosan (The Finance Minster of Hujun Dudufu and Director of Shanghai Business Council) and Yu Qiaqing (ABN AMRO Bank comprador) as well as Lai Haier Von Lueth, vice consul of Consulate-General. Panlun was elected as Chairman of the Board and President of School, taking charge of all the school work. The school was located in Baike Road (now Fengyang Road), opposite to Tongji Hospital. On October 1st, 1907, the opening ceremony was held in Medical School.

Read more

Administration

Read more

Facts & Figures

The University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign is charged by our state to enhance the lives of citizens in Illinois, across the nation and around the world through our leadership in learning, discovery, engagement and economic development. The University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign is charged by our state to enhance the lives of citizens in Illinois, across the nation and around the world through our leadership in learning, discovery, engagement and economic development. The University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign is charged by our state to enhance the lives of citizens in Illinois, across the nation and around the world through our leadership in learning, discovery, engagement and economic development. The University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign is charged by our state to enhance the lives of citizens in Illinois, across the nation and around the world through our leadership in learning, discovery, engagement and economic development. The University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign is charged by our state to enhance the lives of citizens in Illinois, across the nation and around the world through our leadership in learning, discovery, engagement and economic development. The University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign is charged by our state to enhance the lives of citizens in Illinois, across the nation and around the world through our leadership in learning, discovery, engagement and economic development.

Read more